League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

2018 NBA Free Agency

drumr
Chairman of the Board

Re: 2018 NBA Free Agency

Post by drumr »

Lonzo was the only PG on the entire Lakers roster. Rondo's people have stated they were told it would be an open competition and he's open to being a mentor this season he's tired of being on bad teams.

As for the Warriors I think it's all premature. Having seen a team make it to the Finals multiple times in a row a few times the trips add up and take a huge toll on a teams psyche and healthy. GS will have a rough season imo. Also most players who come back from an Achilles are not nearly the same that first year as it takes a while for it to regain strength and flexability.
Cleveland Cavaliers

andrei
Chairman of the Board

Post by andrei »

Myles wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:23 pm You're right Andrei, the "season is over" talks when DMC signed were mistimed. The season is actually already over, and has been over since July 4th, 2016 when KD signed. This is just throwing salt in the wound.
I think Houston played them well. Not sure if losing Ariza is a difference maker here. 15M is not a major overpay for a quality starter. Why he left?
Congrats to season 16 ASL champion SoulKey. For the Swarm!

Myles
Gone But Not Forgotten

Post by Myles »

Yeah no clue why Ariza left. Houston needed him. I think everything went right for the Rockets that series (except game 7) and it won’t be that close again.

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Post by hardenwithnod »

He wanted to get paid,
Big changes are coming in D.C.

andrei
Chairman of the Board

Post by andrei »

hardenwithnod wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:15 pm He wanted to get paid,
I think the point is that Houston could have easily offered him at least the same contact. Not sure if their tax situation is so desperate or they don't value him as much.

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Post by hardenwithnod »

I assume the Rockets are trying to shred some salaries (plus trying to deal Anderson's contract away) in hopes of landing another big piece to the equation, that's probably why they felt a 15mil price tag was not worth it.

andrei
Chairman of the Board

Post by andrei »

And instead they get the walking brick in MCW :(

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Post by hardenwithnod »

MCW is going to become the GOAT here.

Myles
Gone But Not Forgotten

Post by Myles »

I know they were trying to get off salary but I’m surprised they didn’t offer Ariza like a 3/36 or 4/44 type contract, I doubt he will earn that much money for the rest of his career

HiGrade
General Manager

Post by HiGrade »

Nah, I still think the Lakers bringing in Rondo is the absolute best move possible after adding LeBron. Teaming up those two is just insane honestly. Easily the 2 smartest players in the league who see the floor like no one else. If our ratings mirrored the NBA, those 2 would have IQ of 200, they'd break the game. That's what they're going to do in LA, is destroy other teams with their brilliance. I bet if LaVar didn't leak that news about Lonzo's knee...he would have been involved in the trade for Kawhi or Kemba. Honestly so far Magic Johnson has been GM of the Year. EVEN THOUGH they could have had Boogie at the same price as the Warriors and weren't interested. They probably didn't think about him getting revenge by signing with the Warriors though. Regardless, putting those other defensive-minded pests in JaVale & Lance around LeBron, Rondo is just genius. Especially when you mix in Kuzma, Ingram. That's scary good. I cannot wait to watch these guys play together, especially having Kuzma, LeBron, Rondo, Lance on the floor at the same time. Steals, Fast Breaks, Alley-oops, Unrealistic Superhuman Assists...this is going to be fun. Paul George done fcked up by being a little btch and being scared of change. Lakers secure home court throughout the playoffs GUARANTEED.
In need of a home

andrei
Chairman of the Board

Post by andrei »

Why are guys signing minimum deals at day 3? I'd think a vet like Green with Finals experience is worth more than minimum?

Myles
Gone But Not Forgotten

Post by Myles »

andrei wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:19 am Why are guys signing minimum deals at day 3? I'd think a vet like Green with Finals experience is worth more than minimum?
These guys and their agents have been talking with teams for weeks now. They know that there’s no market for them.

blackice
Chairman of the Board

Post by blackice »

(ignore)
Ball is Life.

GreenBear
CSL Champ 2021 & 2024

Post by GreenBear »

Dang. DeRozan for Kawhi? I didn't see that coming.

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Post by Flaming Homer »

Shoot, was hoping LA can bring him this year without giving up Ingram, Ball or Kuzma.
I like his two way play a lot!

But SA really wants to want him FAR away it seems :-D

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Post by hardenwithnod »

Greg Popovich sending a disgruntled player to another country for an all star that's under multiple years of team control is about as Pops as it gets.

wms02a
CEO

Post by wms02a »

This will be interesting moving from the “Beautiful Game” to a core of DeMar, Gay, and Aldridge...

Pop really made a statement showing culture is #1 by not sending him to LA but to Canada
Dallas Maverick GM

2024: San Antonio Spurs - Southwest Division Champion, GM of the Year, Coach of the Year
2025: San Antonio Spurs - Western Conference Champions

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Post by KW »

I am WTFing so hard right now. I hate this for Toronto if Kawhi is only a 1-year rental.

wms02a
CEO

Post by wms02a »

BizGilwalker wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:10 pm I am WTFing so hard right now. I hate this for Toronto if Kawhi is only a 1-year rental.
We said the same thing LY about OKC but the one difference is PG didn’t have Uncle Dennis. Lol
Dallas Maverick GM

2024: San Antonio Spurs - Southwest Division Champion, GM of the Year, Coach of the Year
2025: San Antonio Spurs - Western Conference Champions

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Post by KW »

wms02a wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:28 pm
BizGilwalker wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:10 pm I am WTFing so hard right now. I hate this for Toronto if Kawhi is only a 1-year rental.
We said the same thing LY about OKC but the one difference is PG didn’t have Uncle Dennis. Lol
Paul George also hadn't sat out the whole previous season with an injury and kept his own team in the dark about it. I think this is much more risky for Toronto. Also from a basketball standpoint, getting to play with the reigning league MVP Westbrook at age 29 vs 32-year-old Lowry is very very different. TOR has a better supporting cast, but stars aren't going to teams because of their supporting cast, they're going to teams based on their impact players, their stars.