League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

Do you trust the process?

Rizzo
Chairman of the Board

Re: Do you trust the process?

Post by Rizzo »

It would be tough to be a 76ers fan and as embarrassing as it is, like it or not this team is going to be damn good. With Embiid (if ever healthy), Okafor, Saric, possibly Simmons and someone like Jaylen Brown or Jamal Murray, this team is going to have scary talent up and down the roster. Once they get that young core establish, they will have plenty of cap space to make a huge splash.
Career Accolades:
- GM, Cleveland Cavaliers [2013-2018]
- GM, Brooklyn Nets [2018-2030, 2031-Present]
- 0 CSL Championships
- 0 Eastern Conference Championships
- 0 Coach of the Year Awards
- 0 GM of the Year Awards

Rizzo's Hall of Fame Players:
- oCSL Marcus Smart
- SG P.J. Hairston [2015 CSL Draft, Pick 1.16]
- C DeAndre Ayton [2022 CSL Draft, Pick 1.3]
- PG Shai-Gilgeous Alexander [2025 CSL Draft, Pick 1.1]

Sun Scorched
CSL Champ 2016

Post by Sun Scorched »

Yeah - I hate tanking - but it is a definite strategy.

Don't know if it's a good one, but it's a strategy.

If you suck, a world-beating trade only gets you into "sucking less" territory, but probably still lottery bound.

If you're a solid team, a world-beating trade makes you a contender. That should be the goal of every GM.

Rob
Senior Vice President

Post by Rob »

NuggOlesk wrote:
emplep7 wrote:The Sixers are taking a huge hit on money since nobody goes to the games and nobody buys merchandise (since we don't know who will be on the team next year). Hinkie is a smart man and one of the better GMs in the league. That Stauskas trade was pure brilliance (even if Nik blows). MCW is nothing special (his 9.6 ppg are really great...) and he got him and Noel, plus Saric for Jrue Holiday. Tell me you wouldn't make that trade in a heartbeat.

If Embiid wasn't hurt then nobody would be bashing him, but he nailed it on Okafor. Saric has the potential to be a stud and he has a ton of picks coming up plus endless CAP flexibility. Noel will probably be traded, but unless you watch their games night in and night out then you don't understand the liability he is on the offensive end. He's a good hustle player, but if you can get another potential Top 5 pick for him, I would take it in a heart beat. Okafor is a true center anyway and if Embiid comes back healthy I like that pairing much better.

I would rather be 0-82 this season then the Lakers or Knicks or any middling team that has a bleak future. The outsiders have an outsiders view. I could give two shits about Okafor speeding and punching some Boston fan (I actually like him more for doing that..no offense Rizzo). He's 20 years old. Imagine how you would be at 20 and everyone telling you your whole life that you're a God, I know I was an asshole at 20 and nobody ever told me anything close to that. If Embiid comes back half of how good scouts projected him then that's a win. Add these upcoming picks and the CAP and this is a team who is going to be dangerous for several seasons, but they have to hit on some more draft picks and desperately need a PG.

In the NBA its all a crap shoot, but I'm fine with the Sixers. Its going to be a rough 2 years still, but Brett Brown is a good coach and Hinkie will get it done.
Total bull.
And a lot of "if if if" , more than Iverson said practise.
The excuse is a shitty GM excuse.
I can't make a medicore team good, only way I knoe how to rebuild is being shit for 10 years. OMG, one of the worst logic ever heard about NBA rebuilding.

I don't know, ask GSW, they where bad, drafted a shitty player, where bad, but not shitty, got 7. pick Curry, where bad, drafted again shitty player, played ok, only got 11. pick Kley, now they did 't tank to get 3rd young player, they traded away pick for shitty player, and then they gave a lot of shit and some assets to gey Igoudala, and now they are here, Champions and started season 18-0.

And a lot of teams have gone a similar road, and got realy good, PHI is just dumb and a bad taste, being a sorry ass DLeague team.
One thing about the Warriors is that they had some solid veterans on that team that could keep the young players in check. It doesnt hurt that Curry isnt a headcase and Klay isnt really a social type compared to the rest of the NBA. Another HUGE HUGE reason for the change is the hiring of Jerry West. West was the one who wanted Klay. West was the one who denied the Klay for Love trade. West brought in that championship mindset that the Warriors have never seen before. And the Warriors did tank for Harrison Barnes. They didnt go full 6ers tank but they made sure they were not playing their best players during crunch time. That draft class is what made the Warriors the team they are today. Barnes Ezeli and Green in one class. Thats some real drafting skills! Even with Mark Jackson everyone knew the Warriors were much better than a 2nd round exit. Then came Kerr, Gentry and Adams. Gentry offense with Adams genius defensive brain. Kerrs calm and collected self but is fired up when needed. Combine The coaching with a FO that actually knows what theyre doing and Bam! The warriors are looking like a dynasty.

emplep7
Commissioner & CSL Champ 2018

Post by emplep7 »

I agree with that 100% Rob. They have a very bright future and made all the right moves at all the right times. They are a rarity and definitely not typical of most of the franchises in the NBA.

NuggOlesk
Senior Vice President

Post by NuggOlesk »

emplep7 wrote:The NBA draft is a complete crap shoot, if people knew Curry would be doing what he was doing, he would have went number 1 overall.
OMG, THAT IS THE POINT!!! :idea:

Stephen Curry - 7th
Paul George - 10th
DeMar DeRozan - 9th
Kawhi Leonard - 15th
Rajon Rondo - 21st
Damian Lillard - 6th
Andre Drummond - 9th
Jimmy Butler - 30th
Klay Thompson - 11th
DeAndre Jordan - 35th
Kevin Love - 5th
Paul Millsap - 47th
Isaiah Thomas - 60th
*Hassan Whiteside - 33rd

AND YOU SAID IT YOUSELF:
emplep7 wrote:The NBA draft is a complete crap shoot.
Why the fuck do you need to tank for the top 4 pick for 10 years then? :idea: :idea: :idea:

*Hassan Whiteside - 33rd

At least try to find next Lin, or Whiteside by giving minutes to draft picks that didn't pan out at first! Not give 50% of you playing time to D-League players! :idea: :idea: :idea:

emplep7

Post by emplep7 »

You're not a big enough fan to know that Kendall Marshall, Isaiah Canaan, Tony Wroten, and Nik Stauskas are all draft re-treads in addition to all of their draft picks/FA additions, but no you're right, they haven't tried that strategy...

In 2012-2013 they were 34-48, the following year they were 19-63. That means they have "tanked" for 2 years making this year 3. In the 2011-2012 season, the made it to the Eastern Conference Semi's. You would think they have been doing this for 10 years with the things you say.

And finding an Hassan Whiteside and Jeremy Lin is really easy, just ask the other 29 teams that passed on them. The whole point of getting top picks is because they hit more often than the 17th pick of the draft (or do you want me to list those picks that have hit too)? Just because Steph Curry hit at 7 doesn't mean every poick at 7 is better than the pick from 1-3. You're idiotic if you think so.

I just think its funny that NBA fans like you who have no information other than what information they are fed from the National media bash the Sixers and not a team like the Kings, Knicks, or Lakers who by the way just got beaten by the Sixers. If you ask GMs around the NBA, I would guarantee they would rather have our roster and future than either of those teams.

emplep7

Post by emplep7 »

Actually, just because its too easy, lets compare the past 17th overall picks (from 2013 on to give them 2 years to adjust to the league) and, I don't know, the past Top 3 picks.

2013 Dennis Schroeder
2012 Tyler Zeller
2011 Iman Shumpert
2010 Kevin Seraphin
2009 Jrue Holiday
2008 Roy Hibbert
2007 Sean Williams
2006 Shawne Williams
2005 Danny Granger
2004 Josh Smith
2003 Zarko Cabarkapa
2002 Juan Dixon
2001 Michael Bradley
2000 Desmond Mason

Franchise Players: None
Stars: Josh Smith (I'll even give you this one from his early days)
Good players: Jrue Holiday, Roy Hibbert, Granger, Shumpert, Mason, Zeller, Shroeder

2013 Otto Porter
2012 Bradley Beal
2011 Enes Kanter
2010 Derrick Favors
2009 James Harden
2008 O.J. Mayo
2007 Al Horford
2006 Adam Morrison
2005 Deron Williams
2004 Ben Gordon
2003 Carmelo Anthony
2002 Mike Dunleavy
2001 Pau Gasol
2000 Darius Miles

Franchise players: James Harden, Al Horford, Deron Williams, Carmelo Anthony, Pau Gasol
Stars: Bradley Beal, Otto Porter, Derrick Favors
Good players: Ben Gordon, Mike Dunleavy, Enes Kanter

Now again, tell me that its better to have a late pick than a top 3 pick.

StOfTheStep
Senior Vice President

Post by StOfTheStep »

Sixers beat the Lakers, therefore Sixers are better than the Lakers and aren't the worst team in the NBA. As proven by the transitive property of mathematics. Because science.

NuggOlesk
Senior Vice President

Post by NuggOlesk »

emplep7 wrote:You're not a big enough fan to know that Kendall Marshall, Isaiah Canaan, Tony Wroten, and Nik Stauskas are all draft re-treads in addition to all of their draft picks/FA additions, but no you're right, they haven't tried that strategy...

I just think its funny that NBA fans like you who have no information other than what information they are fed from the National media bash the Sixers and not a team like the Kings, Knicks, or Lakers who by the way just got beaten by the Sixers. If you ask GMs around the NBA, I would guarantee they would rather have our roster and future than either of those teams.
I know every player in the NBA, and about every team not only what media says, I don't really listen to the media (don't read nba.com, ESPN and stuff at all), I have my sources and my own opinion and I know I know more real life NBA than most of you here, have seen it my hole life, and I wasn't talking about them, that is a fact they use 2-3 times more D-League player than others.

NuggOlesk
Senior Vice President

Post by NuggOlesk »

emplep7 wrote:If you ask GMs around the NBA, I would guarantee they would rather have our roster and future than either of those teams.
I am going to guarantee you, 29 teams will rather take their own team, than PHI right now, you are realy dumb to even think otherwise.
Seems you are a idiotic fanboy nothing else. :roll: :roll:

Sun Scorched
CSL Champ 2016

Post by Sun Scorched »

emplep7 wrote:Actually, just because its too easy, lets compare the past 17th overall picks (from 2013 on to give them 2 years to adjust to the league) and, I don't know, the past Top 3 picks.

2013 Dennis Schroeder
2012 Tyler Zeller
2011 Iman Shumpert
2010 Kevin Seraphin
2009 Jrue Holiday
2008 Roy Hibbert
2007 Sean Williams
2006 Shawne Williams
2005 Danny Granger
2004 Josh Smith
2003 Zarko Cabarkapa
2002 Juan Dixon
2001 Michael Bradley
2000 Desmond Mason

Franchise Players: None
Stars: Josh Smith (I'll even give you this one from his early days)
Good players: Jrue Holiday, Roy Hibbert, Granger, Shumpert, Mason, Zeller, Shroeder

2013 Otto Porter
2012 Bradley Beal
2011 Enes Kanter
2010 Derrick Favors
2009 James Harden
2008 O.J. Mayo
2007 Al Horford
2006 Adam Morrison
2005 Deron Williams
2004 Ben Gordon
2003 Carmelo Anthony
2002 Mike Dunleavy
2001 Pau Gasol
2000 Darius Miles

Franchise players: James Harden, Al Horford, Deron Williams, Carmelo Anthony, Pau Gasol
Stars: Bradley Beal, Otto Porter, Derrick Favors
Good players: Ben Gordon, Mike Dunleavy, Enes Kanter

Now again, tell me that its better to have a late pick than a top 3 pick.
In fairness Jon, I think that Holiday, Hibbert and Granger all easily outpace Gordon, Dunleavy and Kanter, though your point about franchise players remain. Perhaps the better way to structure this is to say that there is plenty of depth at various points in the draft, it's merely a function of good scouting and player development.

My favorite team EVER was comprised of Steve Nash (#15, 1996), Shawn Marion (#9, 1999), Amare Stoudemire (#9, 2002), Joe Johnson (#10, 2001) and Raja Bell (Undrafted) - so what you have there is one of the better teams to ever play the game with an average draft ranking of a late lotto pick. I definitely don't subscribe to the tanking method, as is obvious from my two stints for CHA and NOP in the (o)CSL.

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Post by KW »

NuggOlesk wrote:
emplep7 wrote:If you ask GMs around the NBA, I would guarantee they would rather have our roster and future than either of those teams.
I am going to guarantee you, 29 teams will rather take their own team, than PHI right now, you are realy dumb to even think otherwise.
I would much rather have Philly's future picks then have to sit through what the Lakers, Nets, Nuggets, etc are doing.

blackice
Chairman of the Board

Post by blackice »

BizGilwalker wrote:
NuggOlesk wrote:
I would much rather have Philly's future picks then have to sit through what the Lakers, Nets, Nuggets, etc are doing.
Agreed.
Ball is Life.

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

Agreed +1.

Also... Can you draft good players late? Yes, but it is definitely easier to get a good player at 3 or 2 than in the late lottery or 20s. It's possible to draft stars late, but that requires that other teams didn't notice a certain players talent. You can scout and evaluate talent as good as you want, if a team drafting ahead did their homework too, it is useless. And that's the point.
Boston Celtics Hall of Fame
PG G. Dragic [7] - Jersey Retired <> 2013 - 2015
PG R. Westbrook [0] - Jersey Retired <> 2016 - 2019

Fox - Johnson - Bridges - Hlinason - Whiteside
CSL Champions Image 2028

Jestor
Chairman of the Board

Post by Jestor »

BizGilwalker wrote:
NuggOlesk wrote:
Yep.

emplep7

Post by emplep7 »

NuggOlesk wrote:
I'm a realist, not a fanboy. The Sixers aren't good right now, but to say that you wouldn't want their future over certain other teams means your "sources" and your vast knowledge of the NBA over the rest of us isn't up to par.

emplep7

Post by emplep7 »

Sun Scorched wrote: In fairness Jon, I think that Holiday, Hibbert and Granger all easily outpace Gordon, Dunleavy and Kanter, though your point about franchise players remain. Perhaps the better way to structure this is to say that there is plenty of depth at various points in the draft, it's merely a function of good scouting and player development.

My favorite team EVER was comprised of Steve Nash (#15, 1996), Shawn Marion (#9, 1999), Amare Stoudemire (#9, 2002), Joe Johnson (#10, 2001) and Raja Bell (Undrafted) - so what you have there is one of the better teams to ever play the game with an average draft ranking of a late lotto pick. I definitely don't subscribe to the tanking method, as is obvious from my two stints for CHA and NOP in the (o)CSL.
No, my point was its obviously easier to hit with a higher pick than a later pick. If those 3 "good" players at 17 are better than the ones at 3, that's good drafting for those three players.

Rob
Senior Vice President

Post by Rob »

BizGilwalker wrote:
NuggOlesk wrote:
Philly is about to have what looks like to be 2 top 5 picks this draft. If they can hit the lotto, get simmons and idk brown, overpay for some vets for a 2-3 years, they will start to build that winning culture. Philly has the right mindset. Its more of if they can hit on those picks they get. If they dont, they will start to look like the Bobcats..

Btw how does Billy King still even have a job?

OneNole
Chairman of the Board

Post by OneNole »

I am curious how old this Nuggets guy is. My gut says 14 but I could be off by a year or two.
FINALLY a logical HC Rule our work is done

NuggOlesk
Senior Vice President

Post by NuggOlesk »

emplep7 wrote:
NuggOlesk wrote:
I'm a realist, not a fanboy. The Sixers aren't good right now, but to say that you wouldn't want their future over certain other teams means your "sources" and your vast knowledge of the NBA over the rest of us isn't up to par.
LAL and DEN are in POs before PHI for sure, and they are in freeking west.

----

And I didn't say they where doing it 10 years, I said they will do this 10 years all to gether. Unless they changes their GM!
Last edited by NuggOlesk on Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.