League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

3 Point Shooting Cap/ Limit?

WillyJakkz
Chairman of the Board

3 Point Shooting Cap/ Limit?

Post by WillyJakkz »

Preface: Bringing up these players as an example

Simple question: Is there a cap/ limit to the amount of 3's that players are able to reach?

When I had Houston in oCSL I put together an incredible team led by James Harden x Andre Iguodala x Tristan Thompson x Manu Ginobli X Andrea Bargnani but the key was James Harden. HE WAS UNSTOPPABLE. So much so to the point that I'm the reason we now have this iteration of the CSL because he couldn't be stopped because guys were zone happy and the all 10's Strategy were in effect so I made him drive to destroy zones and he was successful... Too successful as guys complained about it ad nauseam... It was a "bug".

This led to the shut down of that League, the start of the present CSL, and the Drive Limit (then ultimately an end to the All 10's Strat). Research and testing was done to limit drives to make the League and players more realistic, namely driving.

So now here we are and I'm scanning rosters and seeing guys in Klay Thompson Bradley Beal who put up 10 3pt shots per game, and Zach LaVine who puts up an astonishing 15 3's per game.

So is there a cap on the number of instructions and points (similar 50 Drive Cap) that's done on shooting 3's and if not why not?

The lack of a player only being able to drive half of his potential time allows zones to run rampant in this League thus teams putting up what was it 55 3pters in a game recently.

Clearly this is an exploit of players not being able to drive more shoot less vs zones but allows shoot more 3's.

ORLANDO
MAGIC:
PG L Ball | SG A Edwards | SF D Bane
PF S Barnes| C M Williams

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Re: 3 Point Shooting Cap/ Limit?

Post by Dennis »

Not allowed because it results in unrealistic FG%. It's not unrealistic to instruct players to shoot only 3s. Also drive more isn't a zone breaker. Not sure why you think that's true lol.
Boston Celtics Hall of Fame
PG G. Dragic [7] - Jersey Retired <> 2013 - 2015
PG R. Westbrook [0] - Jersey Retired <> 2016 - 2019

Fox - Johnson - Bridges - Hlinason - Whiteside
CSL Champions Image 2028

Rizzo
Chairman of the Board

Post by Rizzo »

I think drive cap leading to more shooting means there would be LESS zone played because the zone allows for more jumpers. But I understand your question and think it’s worth the discussion.

On the other hand, we are transitioning to DDS19 and with floor locations and ball actions being added to our league I’m not sure it’s time to add new rules.
Career Accolades:
- GM, Cleveland Cavaliers [2013-2018]
- GM, Brooklyn Nets [2018-2030, 2031-Present]
- 0 CSL Championships
- 0 Eastern Conference Championships
- 0 Coach of the Year Awards
- 0 GM of the Year Awards

Rizzo's Hall of Fame Players:
- oCSL Marcus Smart
- SG P.J. Hairston [2015 CSL Draft, Pick 1.16]
- C DeAndre Ayton [2022 CSL Draft, Pick 1.3]
- PG Shai-Gilgeous Alexander [2025 CSL Draft, Pick 1.1]

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

Are we transitioning to dds19? Game is so bad thst I thought it will never happen?

CSL Champions Image 2028

Myles
Gone But Not Forgotten

Post by Myles »

Yes, we will start with DDS19 in the 2024 offseason, and the 2024-25 season. The game, while flawed, is still much better than DDS3.

Myles
Gone But Not Forgotten

Post by Myles »

To answer your question Willy: the issue with driving above 50% was that there was no downside to it, just like there was no downside to the All 10s strategy. Players realistically should turn the ball over more if they are always driving, and that wasn’t happening.

Also, 3 point shooting is what breaks zone, more than anything else. When I face teams that can really shoot, I turn my zone all the way down to 1.

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

Myles wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:43 pm Yes, we will start with DDS19 in the 2024 offseason, and the 2024-25 season. The game, while flawed, is still much better than DDS3.
Has that anywhere been announced?

CSL Champions Image 2028

Myles
Gone But Not Forgotten

Post by Myles »

Dennis wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:54 pm
Myles wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:43 pm Yes, we will start with DDS19 in the 2024 offseason, and the 2024-25 season. The game, while flawed, is still much better than DDS3.
Has that anywhere been announced?
Wasn’t prepared to announce it, I wanted to have some data to show you all when I made the announcement so you guys could look through that. Also wanted to detail all the changes from DDS3 to DDS19 and what they mean and how to use them, etc.

Just to be clear, since we are currently in the 2022-23 season and each season takes about 6 months, this change is likely 9-10 real life months away from happening. So you guys will have plenty of time to adjust

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

Ok, just having the feeling communication by admins have changed/decreased heavily lately.
But it might help to get in new guys. Marcos gone, Andrew leaving, not sure who will leave if DDS19 isnt as good as said - so new ones needed. By then a 2020 will be out though. So it has to be seen if WS community prefers that already.

CSL Champions Image 2028

emplep7
Commissioner & CSL Champ 2018

Post by emplep7 »

Dennis wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:29 pm Ok, just having the feeling communication by admins have changed/decreased heavily lately.
But it might help to get in new guys. Marcos gone, Andrew leaving, not sure who will leave if DDS19 isnt as good as said - so new ones needed. By then a 2020 will be out though. So it has to be seen if WS community prefers that already.
This heads up was announced mid last year that we started beta testing and will switch to DDS19. That’s 2.5 seasons ahead of a switch. I’m not sure how much more in advance you can give to a group of adults.

We can’t fill a league right now and every year we need to account for new bugs with the current engine. Will the new game be perfect? No. Will it be an improvement over 3? Yes. Will every GM here be happy? Hell No, there are and always will be a handful of people who care more about their own teams rather than the big picture of league stability and continuity and that’s on them. It will work, there will be stumbles along the way just like when CSL started, and it will all be fine.

If we stick with DDS3 we will die the NLL death and if anyone wants that then they fall into that category of GMs who only care about themselves instead of the league.

It’s going to be an adjustment that EVERYONE will be involved in but we have a mostly understanding community where we will be good no matter what.

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

Last update was "we might change if Gary can fix some major fuckups". So I assumed it was off the table as we all know gary just wants to rush out a new one and Myles saying DDS19 has some major flaws. Maybe I missunderstood that comment by myles though? Adam somehow was fully aware we are moving though, which was weird for me. Couldnt find anything on the forums. So it looks to me like some have been informed and some havent, or I was just too blind to find. Wasn't about timing. I would assume a season beforehand is early enough.

CSL Champions Image 2028

Rizzo
Chairman of the Board

Post by Rizzo »

I think I was more informed on the plan because as rookie head I needed to know for sure when Kyrus and I needed to prep a class for DDS19. I was probably very annoying to the admin with my persistent questioning but I was on a need to know basis, especially with needing to have a new scouting app created.
Career Accolades:
- 0 CSL Championships

- oCSL Marcus Smart

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Post by Flaming Homer »

I'm not the most "connected" GM here, but taking it from the discussions in the forum I was always sure we will switch. Question was just how long it will take to transfer the league over and make the ratings work in the new system.
There is still plenty of time left to announce details. No hurry here.
I mean, what is to do on GM side? No one really knows how teams and players will turn out. Every GM probably has to adjust a bit, but only after seeing how it turns out in game.
I like the move, as Jon says, if the league is stuck with DDS3, there is less and less chance to find new GM's. Most of new player will start with newer versions of the game and the step back to this dinosaur is hard.

I'm looking forward to use the new engine and appreciate the work done by the admin and scouting team and everyone who puts work in.

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

Rizzo wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:23 pm I think I was more informed on the plan because as rookie head I needed to know for sure when Kyrus and I needed to prep a class for DDS19. I was probably very annoying to the admin with my persistent questioning but I was on a need to know basis, especially with needing to have a new scouting app created.
Ha no worries Adam. You are a nice guy.

CSL Champions Image 2028

Rizzo
Chairman of the Board

Post by Rizzo »

Dennis wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:13 am Ha no worries Adam. You are a nice guy.
Or maybe I just pretend to be one here... :twisted:
Career Accolades:
- 0 CSL Championships

- oCSL Marcus Smart

WillyJakkz
Chairman of the Board

Post by WillyJakkz »

Myles wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:45 pm To answer your question Willy: the issue with driving above 50% was that there was no downside to it, just like there was no downside to the All 10s strategy. Players realistically should turn the ball over more if they are always driving, and that wasn’t happening.

Also, 3 point shooting is what breaks zone, more than anything else. When I face teams that can really shoot, I turn my zone all the way down to 1.
I felt the downside was forcing players to not play to their fullest strength. I understand your technical point.

Play-wise driving into a zone getting to the paint is also another way to break a zone. And also thanks for the info about the new game.
Dennis wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:35 am Not allowed because it results in unrealistic FG%. It's not unrealistic to instruct players to shoot only 3s. Also drive more isn't a zone breaker. Not sure why you think that's true lol.
I don't even remember you being in oCSL.

ORLANDO
MAGIC:

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

you don't, willy? You should work on your remembrance skills.

CSL Champions Image 2028

WillyJakkz
Chairman of the Board

Post by WillyJakkz »

Dennis wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:18 am you don't, willy? You should work on your remembrance skills.
Which was your team or main players?

ORLANDO
MAGIC:

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

WillyJakkz wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:16 pm
Dennis wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:18 am you don't, willy? You should work on your remembrance skills.
Which was your team or main players?
Celtics for years?

CSL Champions Image 2028

andrei
Chairman of the Board

Post by andrei »

Also, we are in this iteration of CSL because of last season's oCSL Champion Damian ''Godmode'' Lillard...
Congrats to season 16 ASL champion SoulKey. For the Swarm!