League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

DDS19 (Suggestions Wanted!)

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Re: DDS19 (Suggestions Wanted!)

Post by Flaming Homer »

OneNole wrote:Ability to match up players defensively so that teams can't hide players any longer
This ... great suggestion!

HiGrade
General Manager

Post by HiGrade »

Keep in mind I only have DDS1,DDS2,DDS3.

First and most importantly...mobile support. I've wanted DDS on android since DDS1.

Not sure if this exists yet, but upload team files from within the game perhaps and have them automatically sent to the simmer?

Ability to create articles in the actual game, which would support bbcode and images. They would populate after the next sim maybe? That might be a stretch.

I'd actually have to see what features are in the most up to date DDS in order to come up with better ideas.
In need of a home

Myles
Gone But Not Forgotten

Post by Myles »

HiGrade wrote:Keep in mind I only have DDS1,DDS2,DDS3.

First and most importantly...mobile support. I've wanted DDS on android since DDS1.

Not sure if this exists yet, but upload team files from within the game perhaps and have them automatically sent to the simmer?

Ability to create articles in the actual game, which would support bbcode and images. They would populate after the next sim maybe? That might be a stretch.

I'd actually have to see what features are in the most up to date DDS in order to come up with better ideas.
1. We can upload team files directly from within the game to be sent automatically to the simmer. It requires an FTP to be set up, but it is doable.

2. Don't worry about what's in the newer DDS games. Just act as if DDS3 is the most recent one. If there's anything that is already in the new games, I just won't include it in my list of suggestions to Gary.

Marcos_Beck
CSL Champ 2019

Post by Marcos_Beck »

I would really like to see the shooting ratings displayed to everyone and not just commissioners. That's a huge factor in every player.
Maybe you can set options to show / hide shooting ratings and also allow / don't allow player preference work.

About preference work, you could CAP every player's preference for something at 80 or something, because no NBA player will ever only shoot 3s or anything like that.

ability to change matchups not only to who you going to guard but something like "preferred matchup". Positionless basketball would be funny that way and depends on what you got here you could see a PF defending a SG who likes to shoot only so your best defenders can match up against opposition's most prolific scorer. That happens a lot in the NBA, and it's funny to see coaches switching defensively while hoping not to get burned by those bad matchups, and trying to explore that on the other end of the court.
18-19 Chicago Bulls: CSL Champions
#1 D.Rose #11 J.Holiday #21 J.Butler #42 A.Horford #13 J.Noah

29-30 Philadelphia 76ers: CSL Champions
#1 L.Ball #15 M.Beasley #23 B.Bowen #21 M.Wagner #51 K.Towns

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Post by hardenwithnod »

Agreed with Marcos.
Alvarado/Mitchell/Tatum/Bender/Birutis

Marcos_Beck
CSL Champ 2019

Post by Marcos_Beck »

I'd love to see also attack point of emphasis like 2k does

Get shooters open
Play through star
pick and roll
perimeter oriented
ball movement
and then it goes

more options of zones (2-3 / 3-2 or 1-3-1 / matchup-zone in which 4 players zone and the man guarding the ball plays the defender man to man). A bad IQ team would have a real time defending matchup zone as it requires intelligence to switch from zone to man D.

more significancy to DI and IQ because I feel both are kind of worthless right now, I mean a 90 DI payer would have like 1 foul per game in average, that's what lebron, butler, kawhi averages in NBA.

Higher assist rate for players not playing point guard, specially bigs. higher rebounding rate for guards. This would depend on the ratings and not the position they are playing then, because lebron never ever averaged 8 assists per game here while in NBA it was very common.
Size / Height being significant not only to stop drives but also to battle down low against big (no Exum C).
18-19 Chicago Bulls: CSL Champions
#1 D.Rose #11 J.Holiday #21 J.Butler #42 A.Horford #13 J.Noah

29-30 Philadelphia 76ers: CSL Champions
#1 L.Ball #15 M.Beasley #23 B.Bowen #21 M.Wagner #51 K.Towns

Chilikonkarne
CEO

Post by Chilikonkarne »

Great idea Myles, below a list I already posted on WS forums :
Hello Gary,

Few suggestions I would like to escalate for future versions of the game.
For the record, I have been playing the pro game extensively (2, 3 and now 2017). Most of my time playing the game is spent on the CSL where we are currently running the 6th season with DDPB3.
The engine is solid (despite some oddity) but it reflects well a basketball game and allows a lot of strategic adjustment (Zone, Pace, DI, FC). I didn’t find many difference between all the versions though and my comments below aren’t much about the engine.
The CSL is a great league thanks to DDPB3, but also because another aspect you don’t find in the solo game in my opinion: Immersion.
CSL being a media driven league, the immersion is created by the community via articles, podcast and various interaction you cannot have when playing alone.
But here are few suggestions which could help to solve this in my opinion :

- I am from the football manager school where the immersion is amazing. I think the main reason for that is that the information is coming to you and not the opposite.
Indeed everything in football manager starts from your email inbox where you receive after each day of simulation the main news from your team but also from the league. In DDPB3, emails are not really used (trade, fight and mandatory actions – that’s about 20 emails a season). And you need to go look for the news around which are usually quite repetitive. Email give you a structure and a certain dynamic when you play since you start each day by reading them. I would love to see the next DDPB with a similar approach – each day you could receive a dozen of emails like :
o Your last game with the main highlights described in few sentences (and a link to the box score)
o Update on the last NBA night and main highlights (top performance, injuries…with link different box score)
o Scouting report on the next team (similar to the college game) with direct link to the depth chart
o Trade rumors / Coach movement / Free Agent with link the player, coach or team invoved
o Trade proposal
o Team orientation => Change in depth chart with a player promoting to the starting position, team looking compete or tanking
o Injury report
o Rookie Ladder and NCAA/International Prospect latest news
o Fan community : feedback after a big win or big lose, their player of the year from the team, feedback from former legends
o Interview from the press
o Sport reporters criticizing or praising a team, player, trade or decision.
o Candidates for awards and follow-up during the year
o Possibility to follow one player or team in particular and receive regular update/scouting about him
o Few scandals (this is NBA!)
o When a player/achieve a success (30.000 points in career like Dirk lately….) – can be at the league level but also franchise level
o …

I assume it would be technically feasible without much problem but would require a massive amount of writing (similar to pbp). However, it would make the game so much greater

- As said previously, the strategy is well balanced from a team perspective but it would be nice to give individual instructions from the defensive end.
Be able to determine before the game the matchup (Kawhi will follow James Harden, whatever position he will play…that would be a huge bonus in multiplayer leagues), tell a player to take it easy in defense if his discipline is quite low…

- Development – You told me in a previous threat that the development of a player is depending on his potentials, playing time and coaches.
It seems to be untrue as players achieve their potential even when they don’t play. I would therefore revisit the development part to really apply the above concept. In DDPB, you don’t see player like Darko coming with huge potentials but fail because the wrong environment and not enough playing time.

- Big injuries – They should have an effect on career and stop development. How many guys IRL retired earlier because of injuries?

- Defensive Statistics – the 2017 version is really missing them. In the CSL, we live for STP%, PA/SF and TOFC!

- Franchise Management – Add a scouting team to manage, more financial details (value franchise, turnover franchise, operational costs…), have financials objectives from the owner. One objective would be also to keep the fan base happy (obviously more difficult in few franchises). Change of owner putting all front offices job at risk…

- Historical Replay = This is a great feature and the reason I bought the 2017 version.
I understand the data generation is based on statistics and some category like HDL for big guys are tough to determine for example. Most of them have 45 HDL which is weird. Maybe some randomness when generating the attributes would help.
Playing the mid-90s NBA, I saw some oddities but I believe they mainly come from the fact the engine is based on the 2016-2017 season. It would be great to adjust the style of play based on the year like Fast break Basketball does via sliders.
Finally to have the salary cap updated automatically after each season based on real figures.

- HTLM – add some features like trades, awards, playoffs bracket, defensive statistics…

Hope these suggestions will reach you well and happy to discuss it with you or any member of the community!
Chilikonkarne Era (273-186 / 59%)

2014-2015 : 28-21 - (Lottery)
2015-2016 : 50-32 - (Conference Final)
2016-2017 : 35-47 - (Lottery)
2017-2018 : 54-28 - (Conference Final, Atlantic Division Champion)
2018-2019 : 49-33 - (2nd round)
2019-2020 : 57-25 - (2nd round, Atlantic Division Champion)

Chilikonkarne
CEO

Post by Chilikonkarne »

And since I played the 2018 since, couple more ideas :

- Explanation of the new offensive sets
- defensive strategies
- Develop FIBA basket / European Leagues
- More extraction possibilities (be able to extract all stats for example)
- Fix fouling out too quickly
- Fix the bug which quit the game directly
Chilikonkarne Era (273-186 / 59%)

2014-2015 : 28-21 - (Lottery)
2015-2016 : 50-32 - (Conference Final)
2016-2017 : 35-47 - (Lottery)
2017-2018 : 54-28 - (Conference Final, Atlantic Division Champion)
2018-2019 : 49-33 - (2nd round)
2019-2020 : 57-25 - (2nd round, Atlantic Division Champion)

Rizzo
Chairman of the Board

Post by Rizzo »

Myles wrote:1. We can upload team files directly from within the game to be sent automatically to the simmer. It requires an FTP to be set up, but it is doable.
Not sure which version - 16 or 17? - but it was confirmed that while this option was in the game, it didn't work. I remember emailing back and forth with Gary about setting it up and even they couldn't get it to work properly. Unless they have done some work to change that around, it doesn't work.
Career Accolades:
- GM, Cleveland Cavaliers [2013-2018]
- GM, Brooklyn Nets [2018-2030, 2031-Present]
- 0 CSL Championships
- 0 Eastern Conference Championships
- 0 Coach of the Year Awards
- 0 GM of the Year Awards

Rizzo's Hall of Fame Players:
- oCSL Marcus Smart
- SG P.J. Hairston [2015 CSL Draft, Pick 1.16]
- C DeAndre Ayton [2022 CSL Draft, Pick 1.3]
- PG Shai-Gilgeous Alexander [2025 CSL Draft, Pick 1.1]

Cleasby
Senior Vice President

Post by Cleasby »

What I sent Myles for you all to see:

High level tip for Gary – go look at OOTP for an example of where he could take the game on a single player and multiplayer level.

Multiplayer perspective
Ability to export all the in-game stats. How awesome would it be to get player PER, team stats and such exportable to make great articles and media? Even power rankings!

Expansion/contraction and customisation – would be better if this was cleaner. At the moment this is too complex and breakable for multiplayer.

Injuries – we know there is an issue with d.c’s and injuries in the new game. Gary did patch this but it is still not great.

Free agency – team option is abused in multiplayer as well as player options. Is there a way to get free agents to understand TO’s are not guaranteed to be weighted down less.

Draft and scouting points – we don’t use this at all now. But imagine if we didn’t need external scouting and time spent on this but we could load in players and the draft scouting in game could do this!

In season free agents – could this be done in game with players picking like offseason to go to teams?

Hard cap – multiplayer must have.

Trades – could allow for ¾ way trades rather than 1-1 save simmer inputting. Even better if it couldbe done in game through loading files.

Coaching hire – we know this is broken for multiplayer as you cannot bid on guys properly due to putting in any figure so we limit this. Can the coaches be intelligent and not chase the money all the time?

Hall of fame – would like but not major. Ability to pick this?
All star voting – could be done by GM’s on game to pick all stars?

Relocations – ability to relocate franchises would be a nice feature.

Single player
The current strategies is so vague and you still feel like you have no control over your teams play style. Too often it just seems like the game has a mind of its own even if you set strategies for your team.

Shooting stats – they need reworking as Marcos said

Defensive strategies – set who you want to guard who. Gets rid of the basic centre guard centre etc. Allows for small lineups and variations.

Also the game engine we know always has the pg bring the ball up would be awesome you could pick ball handlers
2020-2021 CSL coach of the year

wms02a
CEO

Post by wms02a »

Do the latest DDS's reflect the new NBA CBA?
Dallas Maverick GM

2024: San Antonio Spurs - Southwest Division Champion, GM of the Year, Coach of the Year
2025: San Antonio Spurs - Western Conference Champions

Rizzo
Chairman of the Board

Post by Rizzo »

I'm not talking about the sim engine itself but if the game could be anywhere close to what OOTP is with the non-game action, it would take a HUGE step in the right direction. Pretty much everything Chili said.
Career Accolades:
- GM, Cleveland Cavaliers [2013-2018]
- GM, Brooklyn Nets [2018-2030, 2031-Present]
- 0 CSL Championships
- 0 Eastern Conference Championships
- 0 Coach of the Year Awards
- 0 GM of the Year Awards

Rizzo's Hall of Fame Players:
- oCSL Marcus Smart
- SG P.J. Hairston [2015 CSL Draft, Pick 1.16]
- C DeAndre Ayton [2022 CSL Draft, Pick 1.3]
- PG Shai-Gilgeous Alexander [2025 CSL Draft, Pick 1.1]

Jestor
Chairman of the Board

Post by Jestor »

Just sent Gary an email asking if he thought about bringing someone in to do the writing for expanded PBP, draft, emails, etc.

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Post by Flaming Homer »

Ex-/Import DC and Submatrix would be nice.
If I ever find something working I would like to backup that set.

Cleasby
Senior Vice President

Post by Cleasby »

Myles - don't know is if Gary has spoken to you or replied to you sending over the comments but might be worth posting over on ws forums. As he is starting to reply there

http://www.wolverinestudios.com/board/v ... 7&start=30

Myles
Gone But Not Forgotten

Post by Myles »

Yes, he and I have emailed back and forth a handful of times now

Cleasby
Senior Vice President

Post by Cleasby »

Myles wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 3:34 pm Yes, he and I have emailed back and forth a handful of times now

Awesome

emplep7
Commissioner & CSL Champ 2018

Post by emplep7 »

Would love to hear a paraphrasing of his responses whenever its all finalized so that we can decide how we want to move forward with the engine switch for the CSL so that we can get started on the behind the scenes work. Thanks for handling this Myles!

Myles
Gone But Not Forgotten

Post by Myles »

emplep7 wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 3:41 pm Would love to hear a paraphrasing of his responses whenever its all finalized so that we can decide how we want to move forward with the engine switch for the CSL so that we can get started on the behind the scenes work. Thanks for handling this Myles!
Current paraphrasing: “I like some of these ideas and I’ll need to figure out how I can implement them.” No commitment beyond that.

Mobile app/Apple versions won’t happen. Too difficult to pull off.

Multi team trading won’t be implemented either.

Nothing else has been shot down and he hasn’t committed to anything beyond wanting to see if he could implement certain things.

Myles
Gone But Not Forgotten

Post by Myles »

“I’ve actually got a ton of changes I’ve mapped out – maybe too many – so its going to be a very ambitious new version. I appreciate all of your feedback and ideas – while I can’t implement them all you’ll definitely see the ways your ideas impact PB19.”

Only specific thing he said was that individual defensive matchups are on the list of things to do “in some fashion.”