League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

Team Switching Policy

Myles
Gone But Not Forgotten

Team Switching Policy

Post by Myles »

Hey all,

So we’ve had a few requests to switch over the past few years, and it’s time we update our policy to reflect what our members want. We want the CSL to be a place where people want to come and be a part of the league, and more importantly, want to remain a part of the league, and this is an avenue to accomplish that.

It will not be easy to switch teams at all. The requirements are as follows:

1. GMs must be an active and long-standing member of the CSL community.
2. GMs must give excellent reasoning in their application, not limited to any particular facet such as basketball or personal or whatever, but it must be strong reasoning. “Because I want to” doesn’t cut it.
3. GMs may not switch unless their current team is in a spot where a new GM would want to take that team. No ditching a team that’s in shambles, there has to be appeal to the roster, or the future, etc.
4. GMs must be in good standing with the league. That means no missed voting (awards, all-star, etc) and no recent penalties (free agent/draft penalties, tanking, etc).
5. Switching will only take place in the time between the playoffs and the off-season. You may apply at any time, but decisions will not be made until the playoffs at the earliest.
6. The admins reserve the right to final say on all decisions. That means that even if you feel you meet all the criteria, we have final say.
7. GMs cannot switch multiple times, so be absolutely certain if you switch teams.

This does not change anything about the rules if you leave the league and want to come back. If you leave, you must sit out for one full season before returning to a different team, though you’ve are welcome to coming back to your own team, should it be vacant, at any time. No loopholes here.

Feel free to comment any questions or comments down below.

Jestor
Chairman of the Board

Re: Team Switching Policy

Post by Jestor »

What about a mutually agreed trade of teams? Just in case Las Vegas ends up with a team at some point, perhaps I could engineer a three way deal whereby I get Vegas, one of the more hardcore Lakers fans gets them, and the third team slots into second team's spot.

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Post by Flaming Homer »

:D
Sign me up for the "taking over the Lakers" part

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

Never been a fan of switching teams unless it's a scenario like the lakeshow one. If you take over a worse team I don't mind opening a more interesting spot for a potential new joiner while a vet is managing a bad team. In this case I feel like Toronto is a definitely better situation than LAC though, which leaves a little grain of salt. Only my opinion though, I just liked it more when GMs sticked to their teams no matter what.

Ps: sounds like reasoning it was allowed is thst mussie is from Toronto. That makes it difficult for me to change lol. Or are we adding European teams soon ;P?
Boston Celtics Hall of Fame
PG G. Dragic [7] - Jersey Retired <> 2013 - 2015
PG R. Westbrook [0] - Jersey Retired <> 2016 - 2019

Fox - Johnson - Bridges - Hlinason - Whiteside
CSL Champions Image 2028

andrei
Chairman of the Board

Post by andrei »

Jestor wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:32 pm What about a mutually agreed trade of teams? Just in case Las Vegas ends up with a team at some point, perhaps I could engineer a three way deal whereby I get Vegas, one of the more hardcore Lakers fans gets them, and the third team slots into second team's spot.
Grizzlies on the block ;)
Congrats to season 16 ASL champion SoulKey. For the Swarm!

Myles
Gone But Not Forgotten

Post by Myles »

Dennis wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:45 pm Never been a fan of switching teams unless it's a scenario like the lakeshow one. If you take over a worse team I don't mind opening a more interesting spot for a potential new joiner while a vet is managing a bad team. In this case I feel like Toronto is a definitely better situation than LAC though, which leaves a little grain of salt. Only my opinion though, I just liked it more when GMs sticked to their teams no matter what.

Ps: sounds like reasoning it was allowed is thst mussie is from Toronto. That makes it difficult for me to change lol. Or are we adding European teams soon ;P?
We would have approved the switch even if he didn’t live in Toronto. He earned it from his longtime standing in the league, by being an excellent member of the community, and putting in the work with the Clippers to put them in a better position when we declined his first request after Dame left.

I used to be against switching teams entirely, but I’ve come to realize that this league is meant to be for everyone’s enjoyment, so we are trying to be a little flexible and find that perfect balance of fun for everyone but still with rules, regulations, etc, to keep everything in order. Our ultimate goal is that all 30 members (one day we’ll be full) enjoy this league fully and want to always be a contributing member.

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

All good, I like it. Even though it will be nearly impossible to deny future requests as this is definitely a move to a better situation. Once that happened there is barely a reasoning against it. Even by posting this policy. But that's only my feeling about future potential moves. Others might see it different. I would be disappointed if get denied a move now though - and I assume others would feel the same.

My point was more about that I would always prefer the challenge over moving to a better situation. Even if it's a homecoming. The reason I admired lakeshows' move to Atlanta, even though he was a weird guy
Boston Celtics Hall of Fame
PG G. Dragic [7] - Jersey Retired <> 2013 - 2015
PG R. Westbrook [0] - Jersey Retired <> 2016 - 2019

Fox - Johnson - Bridges - Hlinason - Whiteside
CSL Champions Image 2028

GreenBear
CSL Champ 2021 & 2024

Post by GreenBear »

The switch for BI to Toronto couldn’t have happened to a nicer guy, especially after he got screwed by DDS this past offseason. He stuck it out with a team that he knew wasn’t going anywhere and was active all year. So I get rewarding that. That being said, I kind of agree with Dennis that it’s going to be tricky turning down GMs for relocations from bad teams to good teams in the future. That wasn’t the first time someone’s been screwed by DDS and it certainly won’t be the last haha. I’m sure the commish team talked it out and weighed the pros/cons, and I have no doubt they’ll have it covered. It’s just going to make it trickier for them in the future when they turn down some applications for relocation (although I’m sure they’re used to and expect occasional backlash).

Myles brings up a good point about the league being for our enjoyment. Don’t want quality GMs hating the league if it’s avoidable. So I get that.

WillyJakkz
Chairman of the Board

Post by WillyJakkz »

At first I wasn't feeling it but with some thought I actually really like it because it's like a real life scenario.

He did well with the LAC and TOR had an opening and him being from TOR seems like something that would happen in real life.

The thought has crossed my mind about moving onto new challenges of a new team.

ORLANDO
MAGIC:
PG L Ball | SG A Edwards | SF J Isaac
PF W Kessler | C M Williams

Ocons
Chairman of the Board

Post by Ocons »

Ah, who cares. This should be for fun, good for him and the league!
Clown.Show.League

Rizzo
Chairman of the Board

Post by Rizzo »

Dennis are the Celtics available? I’m asking for a friend.
Career Accolades:
- GM, Cleveland Cavaliers [2013-2018]
- GM, Brooklyn Nets [2018-2030, 2031-Present]
- 0 CSL Championships
- 0 Eastern Conference Championships
- 0 Coach of the Year Awards
- 0 GM of the Year Awards

Rizzo's Hall of Fame Players:
- oCSL Marcus Smart
- SG P.J. Hairston [2015 CSL Draft, Pick 1.16]
- C DeAndre Ayton [2022 CSL Draft, Pick 1.3]
- PG Shai-Gilgeous Alexander [2025 CSL Draft, Pick 1.1]

emplep7
Commissioner & CSL Champ 2018

Post by emplep7 »

With the potential for these requests for the off-season, please remember to review the policy before submitting a request to the Admin Team.