League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

DDS19 League File Updates: IMPORTANT SO PLEASE READ

emplep7
Commissioner & CSL Champ 2018

DDS19 League File Updates: IMPORTANT SO PLEASE READ

Post by emplep7 »

Okay, all - the time has come and the league file was (finally) released last night (or this morning depending on your time zone). We apologize again for the delay, but the space between updates of DDS3 and DDS19 proved to be a significant challenge even with all the planning up front. With that said, I want to list a bunch of things that this new engine and file have brought to our league as I think its for the better, but will take some adjustments.

1. DDS19 is much more complex than the much older DDS3. Its more complex defensively, but its way more complex offensively. With ball actions and floor range, you have A LOT of control over your players and you will be able to make them do a lot more than you ever could in DDS3.

2. GMs will be allowed to use Preferences to update both Ball Actions and Floor Range, but there are Min/Maxes that have been or are in the process of being developed so that you cannot exploit the new system as it can be easily exploited. These will be adjusted by the Admin Team as we have done the past two seasons.

3. DDS19 has adapted to the new NBA, where DDS3 is the old NBA. What this means is that the game is setup so that the standard back to the basket big men don't put up 30ppg like they might have in DDS3 (although I bet with the right offense and Ball Action changes you could get close). The players are about 98% accurate to their DDS3 self in regards to production. They are closer than that in shooting abilities, but again those old school bigs aren't as focused in the offensives sets.

4. With the above point, I will say as a tip that a player who has a good blend of offensive skills will flourish in the new engine. One dimensional players will serve a role, but will need some work to fine tune. This is good since it makes sense to real life, but if you expect a 3 point only sharp shooter to put up 30 ppg you will find yourself sorely disappointed (again this is a good thing).

5. All of the primary ratings (SCR, PAS, DEF, DI, END, etc) are the exact same as they were from DDS3. All of the shooting/preference ratings have been converted universally for everyone to the new DDS19 format. The formulas were done to get the players to shoot as close to what they were shooting in DDS3 and I will admit they are pretty damn close.

6. FG_ITP (Field Goal In the Paint) is a new rating which is the old FGI (Field Goal Inside). This rating received a tiered boost across the league because (as Manu stated) this has been low for DDS3 because that is what worked for that engine, but it hurt our bigs a lot here during the conversion.

7. Additionally, FG_RA (Field Goal Restricted Area) is a new rating for the old FGD (Field Goal Dunk). We originally went with a copy and past, but found that everyone was shooting a ridiculous shooting percentages across the board and did a universal knock down of this rating to align with the shooting %s we saw in DDS for this shooting range.

For the Rookies:

8. With that said, I want to apologize to the Draft Team as we did have to adjust the Rookie Ball Actions a bit as we gave Adam and Kyrus ZERO direction on min/max for any of those ratings. We went in and adjusted players outside of the league-wide min/max ranges to the top end of those ranges so that we don't have overpowered rookies and force a restart. I know this sucks, but again this are adjustable through preferences so you can still work with your rookies just like any other player.

9. As a nice bonus, we did a tiered bump of ALL rookie shooting ratings since they were not able to be developed during the Training Camp process this year. That should help with their development and you all being able to actually use your rookies this season.

For the Pre-season File:

10. Yes, I know that the draft picks are not right. These will be accurate for the actual Regular Season File, but we wanted the pre-season to start with the real ratings. If you are trading during the pre-season, MAKE SURE YOU KNOW YOUR DRAFT PICKS SITUATION or the trade will be rejected.

11. Also, we have 752 real players in our game but the engine creates fake players every.single.time we create a new multiplayer franchise (262 to be exact) to have enough players for the G-League. So yes, player ZzZ ZzZ is back and better than ever. I shouldn't have to say this, but don't try to sign them.

12. We signed players to fill the 3 teams that were not full. These are not the players that will be signed for the Regular Season, but we did it to get the Pre-season file set.

13. DDS19 saves in a different location than DDS3. You will need to save these league files in your My Documents > Wolverine Studios > DDSPB19 > Leagues folder moving forward.

14. Yes, the HTML is pretty much exactly the same as before. Kind of a letdown by Wolverine, but its a constant reminder of our roots I guess.

15. And finally, 90% of the team passwords are identical to what they were for DDS3 but I have OCD and didn't like 10% of the passwords and changed them. If your old password doesn't work, PM me or Myles and we will send you the new password. Sorry again, but I just couldn't help myself.

Again, take your time to really get to know the game. It has a lot more elements which makes it very interesting for me personally to try and figure it out. We will open a common place to post observations to help each other and also point out potential bugs (don't be that person to hide these for your own benefit), but most of all have fun.

Thanks again for your patience guys and I know this is a lot to read! If you have any questions, as always, reach out to the admin team.

Love,
Jon

Rizzo
Chairman of the Board

Re: DDS19 League File Updates: IMPORTANT SO PLEASE READ

Post by Rizzo »

A million thanks to Jon and Myles for this unenviable task!
Career Accolades:
- GM, Cleveland Cavaliers [2013-2018]
- GM, Brooklyn Nets [2018-2030, 2031-Present]
- 0 CSL Championships
- 0 Eastern Conference Championships
- 0 Coach of the Year Awards
- 0 GM of the Year Awards

Rizzo's Hall of Fame Players:
- oCSL Marcus Smart
- SG P.J. Hairston [2015 CSL Draft, Pick 1.16]
- C DeAndre Ayton [2022 CSL Draft, Pick 1.3]
- PG Shai-Gilgeous Alexander [2025 CSL Draft, Pick 1.1]

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Post by KW »

The league is in great hands. Can't wait to see this revamped league in action! Thanks a ton!

TheTwoWallaces
Senior Vice President

Post by TheTwoWallaces »

Big Baller Energy from the Admins. Great job
DETROIT BASKETBALL

Krejci | Campazzo
Porter | Notice | King
Kispert | Martin
Johnson | McDaniels
Wiseman | Stewart | Petrusev

mgtr81
Chairman of the Board

Post by mgtr81 »

Thanks to all who made this possible.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

Cool
CSL Champion 2022 with OKC Thunder

Thunder & Knicks Hall of Fame

Eric Bledsoe - Klay Thompson - Stanley Johnson Jr

Luka Doncic - Zion Williamson

Stockton12
Chairman of the Board

Post by Stockton12 »

Great work guys

Ramcus
CEO

Post by Ramcus »

Amazing job!
Stay Me7o Image
NOLA 2022-2030: 292-364
BRK 2030-2031: Interim GM/Coach | CSL Champion
LAC 2031-present

bt
CSL Champ 2020, 2023 & 2027

Post by bt »

That sounds like a monster of an effort guys, well done. We've all seen leagues transition from one version to the next but from one version to another that is what, 5-7 versions down the line that plays completely different is a massive feat. Much appreciated and I'm sure GM's will be glad to get stuck into the league again.

Do have a couple of questions.
emplep7 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:14 pm2. GMs will be allowed to use Preferences to update both Ball Actions and Floor Range, but there are Min/Maxes that have been or are in the process of being developed so that you cannot exploit the new system as it can be easily exploited. These will be adjusted by the Admin Team as we have done the past two seasons.
Maybe more a statement but in the time testing an exploit was already found? That's pretty disappointing Wolverine and shame on you!! I hope after CSL GM's get into the game, we don't need to have a ton of manual fixes because of game exploits.
emplep7 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:14 pm3. DDS19 has adapted to the new NBA, where DDS3 is the old NBA. What this means is that the game is setup so that the standard back to the basket big men don't put up 30ppg like they might have in DDS3 (although I bet with the right offense and Ball Action changes you could get close). The players are about 98% accurate to their DDS3 self in regards to production. They are closer than that in shooting abilities, but again those old school bigs aren't as focused in the offensives sets.
Just to clarify, no big men were altered right? You're just saying the new game caters more to the new NBA so if we have an old school big man, it's possible his impact is limited compared to DDS3? Big men weren't altered correct?
emplep7 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:14 pm5. All of the primary ratings (SCR, PAS, DEF, DI, END, etc) are the exact same as they were from DDS3. All of the shooting/preference ratings have been converted universally for everyone to the new DDS19 format. The formulas were done to get the players to shoot as close to what they were shooting in DDS3 and I will admit they are pretty damn close.
Did you guys attempt to set this to the player ratings, player percentages or both? I know it's a tough area because in DDS3, guys can shoot over or under their rating. Strategies and surrounding players can also impact a players percentage up or down so when you say getting them pretty close, is it close to what they were shooting or what their ratings show?

Like Derrick White had a poor year from beyond the arc (34%) but I know his ratings are a lot better than that. Or from scouting, I had Jaylen Adams three point rating nailed down but last season he shot really bad from three. I assume he still has his very good three point rating and not what he shot last season percentage wise?
sacramento kings

tremont waters | skylar mays | nigel johnson
matisse thybulle | justin james
robert franks | darius bazely | john butler
donta hall | xavier tillman | patrick williams
jon collins | jonathan isaac | norvel pelle | mfiondu kabengele

CSL CHAMPION Image 2020, 2023, 2027

emplep7

Post by emplep7 »

I'll go down the line with your questions...

For 1. There are definitely ways to exploit the ball actions to enhance your player (i.e. a player who has a SCR rating in the 40s or 50s putting up 25+ ppg), but we have set min/max limits on all the players and will not allow anyone to exceed these min/max limits so that these exploits never happen. Think of it as the Drive Cap we had in DDS3 so that players weren't playing well above their ratings.

2. Big men (or any players) were not altered at all except for the fact that we bumped up the old FGI rating (and bumped down the old FGD rating) to allow them to still be effective. All of their ratings are exactly the same, but since this is following some of the new NBA logic the older style bigs might not post the same numbers they have in the previous version of the game.

3. We made the new shooting ratings match as closely to the old shooting ratings, not what their last shooting percentages were. Using the Ball Actions and Floor Ranges you can make your players shoot above or below so we wanted to stay true to their ratings and let you guys coach your players how you wanted.

Hope that helps, but keep the questions coming as we want to inform you guys of everything we have done to make this work.

bt
CSL Champ 2020, 2023 & 2027

Post by bt »

Perfect, thanks Jon.

If I think of anything else, I'll ask away as it could be good information for all of us new to the game.
sacramento kings

tremont waters | skylar mays | nigel johnson
matisse thybulle | justin james
robert franks | darius bazely | john butler
donta hall | xavier tillman | patrick williams
jon collins | jonathan isaac | norvel pelle | mfiondu kabengele

CSL CHAMPION Image 2020, 2023, 2027

Ramcus
CEO

Post by Ramcus »

emplep7 wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:38 am 2. Big men (or any players) were not altered at all except for the fact that we bumped up the old FGI rating (and bumped down the old FGD rating) to allow them to still be effective. All of their ratings are exactly the same, but since this is following some of the new NBA logic the older style bigs might not post the same numbers they have in the previous version of the game.

3. We made the new shooting ratings match as closely to the old shooting ratings, not what their last shooting percentages were. Using the Ball Actions and Floor Ranges you can make your players shoot above or below so we wanted to stay true to their ratings and let you guys coach your players how you wanted.
2. I guess now it would be interesting if it's possible to still have success using a traditional big man. Sorta like whether or Embiid/Giles becomes either useful or entirely useless. You said the game reflects the modern era, so it would be safe to expect post-up players to start being fazed out. I actually hope to not see that, they add a neat wrinkle to offenses.

3. I also hope to not see players who aren't shooters shooting like 5 3's a game on the lowest tendencies possible. Just because 3's are good doesn't mean everybody should shoot them.
Stay Me7o Image
NOLA 2022-2030: 292-364
BRK 2030-2031: Interim GM/Coach | CSL Champion
LAC 2031-present

emplep7

Post by emplep7 »

Ramcus...

2. You can still have a player play in the post primarily, but I don't think you will see them put up 25ppg playing that way in this engine. They will still be the most efficient players on the court, but their usage will potentially be lower unless you build your team around them.

3. As stated above, well rounded player will be the most important in this engine IMO. If you just shoot 3s, you wont be too successful, but if you can shoot a 3 at a decent clip that will only help you, just like in real life and just like it should here.

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

emplep7 wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:32 pm Ramcus...

2. You can still have a player play in the post primarily, but I don't think you will see them put up 25ppg playing that way in this engine. They will still be the most efficient players on the court, but their usage will potentially be lower unless you build your team around them.

3. As stated above, well rounded player will be the most important in this engine IMO. If you just shoot 3s, you wont be too successful, but if you can shoot a 3 at a decent clip that will only help you, just like in real life and just like it should here.
How about players that are working well inside the arc but wont be able to hit something from beyond the 3point line. Are they potential 25ppg players?
Boston Celtics Hall of Fame
PG G. Dragic [7] - Jersey Retired <> 2013 - 2015
PG R. Westbrook [0] - Jersey Retired <> 2016 - 2019

Fox - Johnson - Bridges - Hlinason - Whiteside
CSL Champions Image 2028

emplep7

Post by emplep7 »

Dennis wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:37 am
emplep7 wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:32 pm Ramcus...

How about players that are working well inside the arc but wont be able to hit something from beyond the 3point line. Are they potential 25ppg players?
Are you saying people who have a good FG_MID and FG_ITP? The more diverse their skillset, the more flexibility you guys as GMs have to increase their scoring. Again this is tied to several ratings and Ball Actions, but in the end its up to you as a GM to figure that out.

If a player has a SCR rating of 55, they won't be able to do that, but if they have a high SCR rating and can shoot good percentages in a couple areas that could potentially help elevate their scoring averages but it depends on how you each coach your players. The statement is more in regards to players who live in the post like a 90's big man who have no diversity to their offensive game (which doesn't exist in the modern NBA anymore).

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

Yeah IGP gonna be interesting as, as you said, there was a huge change from 3 to 19. So we all need to figure out who’s going to be decent in that area. While reading the comments it just sounded like players that are mainly working in the paint/post - like 60 post 40 midrange - won’t be scorer anymore. Sound like they still can though. But you are right. Gonna take some time to get to the level of knowledge like you, myles or silo.
Boston Celtics Hall of Fame
PG G. Dragic [7] - Jersey Retired <> 2013 - 2015
PG R. Westbrook [0] - Jersey Retired <> 2016 - 2019

Fox - Johnson - Bridges - Hlinason - Whiteside
CSL Champions Image 2028

drumr
Chairman of the Board

Post by drumr »

I spent the whole night looking at where players were shooting from in regards to their floor spaces. I've noticed even my maxed out post guys still don't take more then 37% of their shots at the rim. The majority seem to be in the range right outside that. I wonder what I would have to adjust to effect those numbers.
Cleveland Cavaliers

Myles
Gone But Not Forgotten

Post by Myles »

Yeah there are hidden ratings for restricted area utilization as well as dunk rate. It appears as though players make nearly 100% of their dunks, and the restricted area rate seems to be a function of their inside shooting. I don't think there's really a way to adjust the usage here, so we tried to just make it honor how players shot inside in DDS3 and also how the inside shooting distribution/shot percentages tend to work in the NBA.

Myles
Gone But Not Forgotten

Post by Myles »

You can 100% still be a 30 ppg scorer without having a 3 point shot. You just can't be all in on one type of shot in your floor ranges and have that kind of volume, since it's not all that realistic to be able to get say like 15-20 shots per game all inside the paint. That's how DDS19 seems to work, that if you have all your eggs in one basket, you can be successful, but it's limited because you can only get so much volume in that area.

drumr
Chairman of the Board

Post by drumr »

Thanks Myles. Completely makes sense why it looks that way now. I think your comment about shot distribution makes it sound much more realistic.
Cleveland Cavaliers